It’s getting to be that time of year again friend. It’s time to start thinking about Christmas. This year, surprise your loved ones with homemade gifts straight from your homestead.
I don’t know about you but some years I find Christmas hard. I love the festive season, with all the lights and candles and parties. Sometimes, trying to pick that perfect gift for a family member who has everything can be hard. Enter the home(stead) made Christmas gift.
I’ve come up with a list of 19 homemade gifts that are perfect way to make someone feel special this holiday season
Homemade gifts from your homestead
If you enjoy making your own bath and body products at home, any of them would make a beautiful gift this holiday season. You could consider giving someone:
- homemade soap and a beautiful rest to put it on
- a selection of homemade bath bombs
- how about some lovely scented bath salts to make them feel extra cozy this winter
- a nourishing body oil scented with spruce, pine and juniper could be just what they need to help their muscles relax after a hard day work.
- some homemade lip balm might be just the ticket to help keep lips protected this winter
If you enjoying being creative in the kitchen, Christmas is the perfect time of year to bless someone with a wonderful gifts you have created in your kitchen:
- homemade hot chocolate mix would be a delicious gift for a child in your life, or just someone young at heart.
- if you are a coffee lover (or know one), a small selection of homemade coffee syrups in small jars would make a beautiful gift
- if you roast your own coffee at home, share your favourite blend with your favourite people. You could add a festive mug with brewing instructions tucked inside.
- if you are planning on doing some holiday baking, make some extra and share the wealth. We like to gift boxes of home baked goods to older members of our community that live alone. Hit your local dollar store for some festive bakery boxes and you have a excellent gift.
- a loaf of homemade bread would make a thoughtful gift for the host of a holiday party you are attending. Wrapped up a beautiful kitchen towel, they can tuck it away for an easy breakfast the next morning
- take your homemade bread gift to the next level by adding in a delicious compound butter. Some flavour combinations to try are cinnamon sugar butter, honey butter or olive and sun dried tomato butter for a savoury twist. Here is an article that talks about how to make compound butter, if you have never tried it.
- if you have spent the summer canning up your gardens bounty, make a basket of your favourite preserves to share with a family member this year. You could gift some pickles with your favourite salami. How about homemade tomato sauce with your favourite box of pasta. If jam is your specialty, your favourite jam and a batch of scones would be an amazing gift.
- how about a small jar of homemade vanilla with a beautiful label. This is a quick project that will make lots extra for sharing.
Maybe you enjoy crafting and making things with your hands. Or maybe your children do. Homemade gifts, thoughtfully prepared by hand are always a welcome sight at Christmas.
- a small box of homemade fire starters would be a lovely gift for the camper in your life. Or anyone that heats their home with wood. This is a great activity to do with children. They can help gather the supplies and put the starter together. You, the adult, can just pour the hot wax over top.
- do you enjoying carving wood. Homemade wooden spoons make a thoughtful gift for the cook in your life.
- homemade ornaments are perfect for the Christmas season. These are our favourite to give to grandparents. Maybe you make a cinnamon ornament, or craft something from nature. They are a great way to get your children involved with gift giving this holiday season.
- Are you a knitter? Socks, mitts, and touques made perfect homemade gifts for your loved ones
- Maybe your prefer to sew. Homemade stocking to decorate the mantle could be just the ticket this year.
- You could also make up a new set up linen napkins for your best homesteading friend.
Wrapping your homemade gifts
I find simple is often best when I am wrapping gifts. I prefer brown craft paper and a nice ribbon over Christmas themed wrapping paper. Add a festive gift tag and you have a lovely gift that anyone would be excited to open. I have created a set of custom gift tags to help with all your holiday wrapping. Sign up below and they will be sent directly to your inbox. Print them on some heavy card stock paper and you will be good to go.
Are you planning on giving gifts from your homestead this year? Tell me in the comment what your favourite gift to give is!